The Château de Belfaux
The Château de Belfaux is a beautiful example of 18th century architecture : the admirable proportions of the facade, the roof with its pure and delicate lines, the pediment in its marvellous simplicity, all contribute to giving this château an aspect of nobility and beauty, accentuated as well by the harmonious surroundings of greenery in wich it is placed. The details are also worked out with taste and simplicity as well as originality, as can be seen in the keystone of the main entrance. The balcony which harmoniously divides the main facade offers us a fine example of ironwork in its railing, an admirable piece of work demonstrating the artistic and artisanal work of the period (1766).
The interior of the château is also without excessive decoration. Besides fine carpentry there are three superb tile ovens in the rococo and baroque styles, dating from 1725 and 1770.
The Château de Belfaux was built around 1766 by the architect Charles de Castella. It was built for Tobie-Marie-Joseph de Montenach, knight of St. Louis and colonel of a Swiss regiment in service to the King of France.
The château passed on to the family of the Count Louis d’Affry in 1797. It was sold to the family of Auguste de Muller in 1880 and then sold in 1983 to Edouard Wassmer, who selled it in 2008 to Robert and Alice Rentsch and Marianne Pfister Gerber.
The property includes stables for four horses, a greenhouse, a barn, a volière, a small chapel, a hunting pavilion, a French garden, and small lake and several fountains supplied with excellent water by a private spring (which provides all the water used in the château).